Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Different Corner of the City

On my way to (こぜんじえき) Kozenji Eki 

Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning, I would set out around 7:45 to catch my 8:10 train at こぜんじえき. At this time of the day, I can see the narrow streets come alive and crowded with quick footsteps from some and leisurely strolls from others, accompanied by a great deal of chatter from students of all ages. The special presence of the students undeniably contributes something different to this otherwise peaceful town, as adults would give the sidewalk to the students and walk on the road. These mornings allow me to capture a different type of life in the otherwise quiet small neighborhood outside of Hirakata Shi, which I have always perceived as the center of Hirakata.


This 7-Eleven is perhaps the most frequently visited shop in the neighborhood.

In the neighborhood, residences alternate between western houses, traditional Japanese homes, one room and luxury "mansions," all of various shapes and sizes, each displaying a bit of the affluence of the household. As I exit out of my residential neighborhood and onto the roads leading to the station, my view changes to a continuous street with old and new houses facing each other, with an occasional small business store tucked between them. In such a highly residential area, locals do not seem to thrive on the small businesses as I have witnessed few enter the dry cleaners, sake store, and small supermarket; although students will linger outside the 7-eleven. The most popular business in the area might just be the elementary, middle, and high school in the area, whose students add a more lively touch to the area. Nevertheless, the peacefulness of the neighborhood seems to be positive quality of the area as it allows residents to live comfortably away from the noise and busy-ness of the city; the energy from the students seem to balance everything out just right. 
Typical residences along the side of the street.


1 comment:

  1. Every morning I pass through Kozenji on my way to work on the train. There are always so many students of all ages getting off at that train station. So I think it would be an interesting approach to look at your neighborhood through the many schools that are in the immediate area.

    You have some interesting observations but your post seems to end abruptly. I would like to read more, and perhaps see more of a focus as opposed to a plethora of observations. What can we learn about Japanese culture through an exploration of Kozenji?

    ReplyDelete