Tuesday, October 5, 2010

日本のお母さん

“你好吗" was among one of the many languages Okasan greeted me with during our first meeting. That was my first sample of her many skills and capabilities. As I got to know her, she helped me develop a deeper understanding of Japanese culture and society through her daily life.

Okasan has become proof to me that Japanese culture is starting to change and women are becoming capable, independent and even major contributors to society. While she considers herself a "homemaker," she has accomplished much more than taking care of a home; even though her family are all working overseas, Okasan chose to stay in Japan to maintain their home, lead her own life, and contribute to her community. Most women of Okasan's status, would be able to relax, travel, and enjoy life, but Okasan tells me that she has no time for such things. She isとてもいそかしい with volunteering and attending meetings to find solutions for various problems in the neighborhood; she has participated in various events from campaigning for child safety to simply establishing a cleaner way to recycle and dispose of waste. Amidst her involvement in the neighborhood, she has also worked into her daily routine of going to the gym, doing household chores, and taking care of a host-student. Even when she is tired, she is never the one to complain, as she will still smile a whole-hearted smile and have more energy than me for our daily chats at the end of the day. 

Through my interactions with my Okasan I am reminded that assumptions of people from one cultural group do not necessary stand true and have to exist. While some of my Okasan's traits are well shared among other Japanese people, such as her bright personality, which accentuates Japanese people's spirit of 元気-ness and eagerness to help others, her individual characteristics make it difficult to generalize everyone. I am sure not all Japanese people or women are like my Okasan, as the lifestyles that they lead, decisions that they make, and perspectives that they have vary. For instance, not all Japanese people balance her type of schedule at her age, or can speak Chinese quite fluently along with english and some Thai. Hence, my Okasan as a Japanese person, woman, and mother is both her own individual and a part of the Japanese whole. While she is just one part of the many faces of Japanese society, she represents to me a big and positive part of Japanese culture. 



1 comment:

  1. Your host mother sure seems - from your descriptions and photos of her - very genki!

    The interesting thing about culture is that it is made up of individuals that somehow have some commonalities. Yet at the same time when people within the group do something different they become more of an individual. You describe this complex nature of culture quite well in your post.

    Despite the peace signs, I especially like the first photo.

    ReplyDelete